I’m an engaging and confident public speaker on my research topics of social media platforms, cultures, and identities.
In addition to the list below, you can listen to examples of me being a guest on tech podcast Download This Show, interviewed on radio program The Hook Up on Triple J (from 34:30), and moderating panel discussion ‘Why Social Media Matters to Conversations and Careers’ for Monash University’s Creative Directions festival.
I’m featured in this roundtable, Online Anonymity and Pseudonymity: Why it Matters, co-hosted by Twitter and Digital Rights Watch. I’m on from 42:34.
- ‘Identifying Our/Selves: Anonymity and Pseudonymity Online – Talking Digital Media, Episode 9’, interview with Adam Brown at Deakin University, 21 March 2016.
- ‘Anonymity on Reddit Gonewild: Marking Deviance, Performing the Ordinary’ at #digcult14: Making Digital Cultures of Gender and Sexuality with Social Media, 28 October 2014, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane.
- ‘Online Anonymity’ at The Privacy Workshop, Federation Square, Melbourne, 17 October 2014.
- ‘Pleasures and Challenges of Staying Anonymous for Sex on Social Media’, Digital Intimacies 5: Structures, Cultures, Power, Monash University, Melbourne, 9-11 December 2019.
- ‘Sunsets and Memories: How We Bury and Mourn Dead Platforms’, Association of Internet Researchers conference, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia, 2-5 October 2019.
- ‘Sunset in Silicon Valley: How We Bury and Mourn Dead Platforms’, Digital Intimacies 4: Porousness & Permutations, Curtin University, Perth, Australia, 5-7 December 2018.
- ‘Accepting, Negotiating, and Rejecting Facebook Identities’, CODE: A Media Conference of Platforms, Devices and Screens, Swinburne University, Melbourne, Australia, 19-20 November 2018.
- ‘Broken Windows: How Creating, Debating, and Updating Social Media Rules Helps Moderators and Users’, SWARM Symposium: Towards an Ethics of Community Management, Dream Factory, Footscray, 30 August 2018.
- ‘Selfie Verification: Linking Identities and Bodies on NSFW Reddit’, Selfie Subjectivities/Selfie as Method Research Symposium, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia, 5-6 April 2018.
- ‘Disconnections and Invisibilities: Responses to Social Media Algorithms’, Digital Intimacies 3.0: Connections & Disconnections, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia, 13-15 November 2017.
- ‘Avatars of Lust: Consent and In-game Relationships’, with Robbie Fordyce & Dan Golding, Digital Intimacies 3.0: Connections & Disconnections, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia, 13-15 November 2017.
- ‘Exposing Vulnerabilities through Forced Connections on Social Media’, Digital Existence II: Precarious Media Life, Sigtuna Foundation, Sweden, 30 October to 1 November 2017.
- ‘Reddit Gonewild and Reddit TributeMe’, as part of the roundtable ‘“Difficult” Imagery: The Ethics of Publication and Presentation of Challenging Visual Material’, with Lee Humphreys, Bjorn Nansen, and César Albarrán Torres, Association of Internet Researchers conference, University of Tartu, Estonia, 19-21 October.
- ‘Understanding Reddit’s TributeMe through Networked Affect’, Affective Politics of Social Media, University of Turku, Finland, 12 to 13 October 2017.
- ‘Visibility Politics: Influencers and Algorithmic Interventions’, at Australian and New Zealand Communication Association, University of Sydney, 4-7 July 2017.
- ‘“Networks That Work Too Well”: Forced Connections on Social Media’ at Australian and New Zealand Communication Association, University of Sydney, 4-7 July 2017.
- ‘Digital and Liquid Traces: Affordances and Practices of Tributing on Reddit’ at Digital Intimacies: Interrogating the Interface Between Intimate Lives and Calculative Digital Media Platforms, University of Queensland, 12-13 December 2016.
- ‘Disrupting Anonymity Online: The Unmasking of Reddit’s Violentacrez’ at Internet Research 15, Association of Internet Researchers conference, Daegu, South Korea, 21-24 October 2014.
- ‘“We now know who you are”: Privacy, anonymity, and the unmasking of Reddit’s Violentacrez’ at Surveillance, Copyright, Privacy: The end of the open internet, University of Otago, New Zealand, 30 January – 1 February 2014, <https://blogs.otago.ac.nz/scpconf/>.
- ‘Anonymity as Agency’ at ARC Centre of Excellence for Creative Industries and Innovation Winter School, Queensland University of Technology, 23-28 June 2013.
- ‘Faceless Bodies: Technological and Cultural Codes on reddit’ at CODE: A Media, Games & Art Conference, Swinburne University, Hawthorn campus, 21-23 November 2012.
- ‘The Secret That Could Ruin Your Life: Reddit and the ‘Anonymity Continuum’ at Confessional Culture: Postgraduate Conference, Monash University, 5-6 July 2012.